Jo's Slow Cooker Bacon and Corn Chowder
Serves : 8
- 1 kg smoked bacon bits -any off cuts are good and the smokier the better for fuller flavour
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 large onion
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cans cream style corn
- 1 litre stock
- 1 packet soup mix/split peas (whichever is your preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:20min › Cook:5hours › Extra time:40min › Ready in:6hours
- Chop bacon pieces into reasonable size cubes...not too small as the size is what makes this so good.
- Chop onions...as chunky or as small as you like; peel and cube the potatoes into bite size cubes.
- Saute the bacon and onion and garlic in a pan.
- Add to slow cooker with stock (if you like a thinner soup add more stock or water) add the soup mix/split peas.
- Leave to cook 4 hours minimum on high.
- Add the cream corn one hour before serving. Stir in well.
- Serve with crusty bread for a hearty filling meal
Something else. Add the diced potato at the same time as the stock - 19 Jul 2009
Hi RaneyLorene, It is basically a mix of grains,vegies and flavour.. some more info for you. http://www.hansells.com/ourfoods/BrowseourRange/king/kingtraditionalsoupmix-vegetable.aspx Hope that helps :D Looking forward to trying this tonight - looks delicious! - 07 Jun 2012
I don't actually live 'down under' and am wondering what a "packet of soup mix" is? Can you tell me? - 21 May 2012