Vegetable and Split Pea Soup
Serves : 8
- 1- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (3 - 4 medium onions), diced
- 2 cups (6 - 8 medium carrots), diced
- 2 cups (2 large stalks celery), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (185g) yellow split peas
- 1 cup (185g) green split peas
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation:20min › Cook:2hours30min › Ready in:2hours50min
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic until onion is translucent. Stir in yellow and green split peas, stock and bay leaf. Season to taste, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Purée warm soup with a blender or food processor. Return to pot, heat through and serve.
Make this soup vegan by using vegetable stock.
Altered ingredient amounts. This was easy and good, and just the right thickness. I used all green split peas, and didn't have any salt-free seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash) on hand, so I just used about 2 t. curry powder and 1/4 t. black pepper for seasoning. I like a little texture in my pea soup, so I only pureed about 3 c. of the soup in the blender, then added it back to the pot. Thanks for the recipe. - 29 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. This soup was wonderful. I had never had split pea soup that did not call for ham so I was concerned that it would not have enough flavour. I was quite surprised. I just put all the ingredients in a crockpot except for the oil and the salt free seasoning blend (I didn't have any). I only used green peas and I doubled the recipe except for the water. I used 12 cups of water instead of 16. I also used Wyler's Shakers stock that is chicken garlic and herb flavour. Then I slow-cooked it for 6 hours. It came out great. - 29 Sep 2008
Mmmmm... best ever indeed. It came out yummy. I did not puree the soup at the end because I liked the chunkiness. Also, it looked ready after only an hour, and the peas were all soft, so I took it off the heat. Recommended! - 29 Sep 2008