The Perfect Apple Crumble
- 7 large green apples
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (ground)
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg (ground)
- 2/3 cup butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Preparation:45min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour30min
- APPLE MIX
- Peel and core apples, then cut into rough 1-2cm cubes. Place apples in large saucepan and cover with water. Simmer (but don't boil) covered with lid on med-high until apples are just tender but not too soft (usually 5mins once water is simmering). Drain apples well and place in large bowl
- Combine caster sugar and cinnamon (ensures even spread), then toss through the apples. If you like the apples to be less sweet and more tart you can omit the sugar in this step, though there may be excess juice as a result.
- CRUMBLE MIX
- Combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl until evenly mixed through.
- Melt butter (do not burn or boil it) and add vanilla essence to butter, stir through.
- Add butter mix to dry ingredients and mix well using a fork. Ensure all ingredients are moist and mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Place apple mix evenly in medium casserole dish. Spread crumble mix over top of apple. Bake at 180 degrees C for 30-40minutes, or until crumble topping is slightly browned.
- Serve with vanilla icecream, cream, or custard and ENJOY!
Made it healthier. Used only 1/3 cup of butter and replaced the missing butter with 1/3 cup of the juice from the apples. Used much less water and no sugar when cooking the apples. And replaced the sugar in the crumble with sugar substitute. Deliciously moorish and only 4 weight watchers points per serve! - 27 Sep 2010
I think the ratio of crumble to apple in this recipe was a little excessive, but the actual taste and texture of the crumble was excellent. Will definitely do this another time, but just reduce the amount of crumble...Maybe 1/2 cup per crumble ingredient? - 03 Jul 2012
Made it healthier. I put less butter and used the left over apple juice ( from draining cooked apples) to make the crumble moist - 31 Jul 2010