Tasty Beer Bread
- 190g plain flour
- 180g wholemeal plain flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 75g dark brown soft sugar
- 350ml can or stubby beer
Preparation:10min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a 23x12cm loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Pour in beer, stir until a stiff batter is formed. It may be necessary to mix dough with your hands. Scrape dough into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre of the loaf comes out clean.
Used different ingredients. Great recipe! I didn't alter a thing other than adding a few tablespoons of melted butter on top before baking as others suggested. I used a bottle of ale (Portland Ale) with great results. I am thinking of packaging the dry mix, putting it in a loaf pan w/ a bottle of beer and giving as christmas gifts this year. Would make a great hostess gift, too! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Very easy, very good. I added 1/4 of melted butter on top of the batter before baking (a trick I picked up from another beer bread recipe). You can add up to 1/2 a cup if you like, but use real butter! YUM! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Excellent! I used VB brought to room temperature. I added 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese. I poured 1/2 cup of melted, salted butter over the top prior to baking. Baked for 55 minutes. This turned out beautifully with a chewy crust. - 29 Sep 2008