Beef and Potato Stew with Spinach
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500g beef topside, thinly sliced and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 new potatoes, quartered
- 700ml jar passata
- 200g fresh spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup (125ml) red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:2hours
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir meat until well browned on all sides, then transfer to a large stockpot.
- Cook and stir onions in the same frying pan in the fat remaining from the meat. When lightly browned and tender, stir in tomatoes. Continue cooking until some of the tomato liquid has evaporated, then transfer to the stockpot with the meat.
- In a separate frying pan, brown the potatoes in a small amount of oil over medium-high heat, turning occasionally. Add the potatoes to the meat, along with the passata, spinach, red wine, garlic and oregano.
- Add just enough beef stock or water to cover meat and vegetables, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
Used different ingredients. one rounded teaspoon of german mustard per two people. Delicious. - 30 Jul 2009
Used different ingredients. This is really good!! I read the reviews and decided to try adding some fresh coriander to spice it up. The coriander gave it the perfect taste. I will certainly make this again. - 29 Sep 2008
Wonderful recipe! My husband has eaten two bowls - - - so far! He's on a low cholesterol diet, and this recipe is perfect for that. Sure hope there's enough left to freeze! - 29 Sep 2008