Best Ever Potato Salad
- 2 kg desiree potatoes
- 440g whole egg mayonnaise
- 6 eggs
- bunch spring onions
- 8 rashers short cut rindless bacon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
Preparation:20min › Cook:20min › Extra time:1hour20min chilling › Ready in:2hours
- Hard boil the eggs by placing in a pot, cover with salted tap water and bring to boiling. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 17 minutes. Cool under running water, crack all over and leave in fridge covered with cold water for an hour to cool. They should be easy to peel now. Cut into quarters.
- Meanwhile peel potatoes if you wish but the salad works just as well un-peeled. Dice potatoes into 3cm cubes and place in large pot and cover with salted tap water. Bring to boil and cook for approximately 10 mins, check regularly, the potatoes should be just cooked, not falling apart. Drain and refrigerate for 2 hours. This helps to stop the potatoes from falling apart when mixing in the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop spring onions into 5mm pieces, do not use the dark green part of the onion.
- Fry bacon quickly over high heat so it is browned but not too crispy. Drain on paper towel and slice into thin strips.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, onion salt and garlic powder and mix through with the potatoes, eggs, spring onions and bacon.
- Lasts for a few days in the fridge so you can prepare the salad in advance and tastes even better once all the flavours are infused together!
Took shortcuts. Fantastic, easy recipe! I used Paul Newman's Own Whole Egg Mayo (440g) on it's own - no garlic/additions necessary and great quality mayo! - 28 Dec 2010
this was delicious and a hit at both my families christmas gatherings...thanks for the recipe Five stars for sure - 18 Jan 2011
my partner was looking for hours to find a yummy potato salad recipe and we are so glad we stuck to this one!! thankyou! it is delicious!!! - 21 Aug 2011