Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 medium onions
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 6 button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 600g cross cut blade steak
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
Preparation:20min › Cook:5hours › Extra time:10min › Ready in:5hours30min
- Turn the slow cooker on to high.
- Slice the onions and brown in the oil in a non stick frying pan, adding the mushrooms when the onions have become transparent and light brown. When the mushrooms have coloured and wilted slightly, tip both vegetables into the slow cooker.
- Cut the carrots in half lenghtwise then into chunks 2cm long and add them to the onion mixture. Stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and tomato paste.
- Slice the beef into 1cm cubes, discarding the fat. Put the beef on top of the vegetables. Slice the potatoes into quarters and press down the side of the slow cooker bowl.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, check to see if the gravy needs thickening. If so, thicken slightly with 2 tablespoons of cornflour, mixed to a thin paste with water.
My mum passed down our family slow cooker to me recently. I bought cheap meat cuts and incorporated two recipes I found on the webpage - see my variations. The family loved it, and couldn't stop talking how soft and juicy the meat was! This dish will be added to the t0-do list again. - 07 May 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. I added a bottle of beer (Stella) and a packed of french onion soup mix. I skipped the mushrooms, as I didn't have any in the fridge at the time! - 07 May 2011
This is a good recipe, made it on the the weekend pretty easy to make. I used large potatoes cut into quarters which ended up being to large in my opinion, when I do it again I will make the potatoes bite size(about the same size as the carrot). - 31 May 2011