Serves : 5
- 1/2 packet of frozen spinach
- 1 cobb loaf (or Vienna loaf)
- 1/2 packet powdered French onion soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 3 rashers bacon
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 500g cream cheese
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Extra time:10min › Ready in:1hour30min
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees C. Cut a lid off the cobb loaf and hollow out the loaf, keeping the bread you remove.
- Defrost spinach and drain any excess water that may come out.
- Heat cream cheese slightly in the microwave - 30 secs should be enough.
- Chop bacon into pieces and lightly fry in a pan. In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour all of this mixture into the hollowed out loaf and replace the 'lid' that you cut off previously.
- Wrap the entire loaf in alfoil and place in the oven for 1 hour. Is ready when mixture inside is nice and hot.
- Break up the bread you removed in the middle into finger sized pieces and grill till golden brown. These are used as scoops for the spinach dip mixture.
Used different ingredients. Hi I love cobloaf mine goes like this (a bit naughty but very nice) 1pkt frozen or one buch chopped fresh spinach, 1 small block feta, 1 small block tasy cheese, tablespoon garlic, tub cream cheese. blens everything together and cook inside the loaf in a moderate oven till warm and gooey!! - 02 Dec 2008
It is a very yummy concoction but I think it's best served in individual bread rolls, perhaps mini dinner rolls if it is served at a party. The Cobb loaf I used was too hard around the edges too tear off into bite size pieces and the mixture was too crumbly to stay on without spreading it with a spoon or knife. The cobb loaf is quite deep and I imagine some guests might be put off if they saw someone digging their hand in it also I'm not sure about warm cheese slowly getting cooler as it sits in a large vessel on a table at a party. I think individual serves that are easy to pick up and pop straight into your mouth are best things to serve at a party or picnic. - 21 Nov 2009
Used different ingredients. I diced and fried 1 onion with 3 rashers of bacon. left out the french onion soup, garlic and chilli sauce. I used 1 block of feta (using fishingal's tweak) and a 500g tub of Home brand Low fat Creamed Cottage Cheese because my hubby bought it by mistake instead of Cream cheese. - 21 Nov 2009