Banana Wholemeal Bread
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 125g (1/3 cup) honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 375g (4-5 medium, peeled) mashed ripe bananas
- 280g wholemeal flour
- 3 tablespoons wheatgerm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 60g (1/2 cup) chopped pecans
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour15min
- Grease a 23x12cm loaf pan, or line with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine oil, honey, eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheatgerm, salt and bicarb soda. Make a well in dry ingredients, and add the banana mixture. Mix together until dry ingredients are just combined.
- Stir in nuts. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Used different ingredients. I used 4 bananas for this recipe and made muffins, baking for 20-25 minutes. I added walnuts, chocolate chips and sultanas separately to some of the muffins and left a few plain (I liked the ones with sultanas best). I didn't have wheatgerm but added some apple sauce (about 5 tablespoons) to help alleviate the dryness. A very tasty recipe. - 14 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. Very tasty - I've made this three times and adding extra bananas helps with the dryness, but then, so does spreading the warm bread with a little butter! Bottom line: an easy, healthy recipe. - 14 Jul 2008
I made this delicious banana bread but used lite sour cream instead of oil and cooking chocolate (small pieces) instead of nuts and it was absolutely awesum!! - 25 Jul 2012