Banana Oat Bars
- 1 1/3 cups (125g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1 cup (225g) mashed bananas
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preparation:5min › Cook:35min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix together bananas, egg whites, milk and vanilla. Combine and beat all together.
- Bake in a 23x33cm slice tin, which has been lightly greased or lined with baking paper for about 35 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. You can sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, if desired.
Altered ingredient amounts. I've made these twice now for my twin toddlers. The first time the taste was great, but as everyone said, they were pretty crumbly. But they were good enough that I didn't want to give up so the 2nd time I added 4tbsp flour and substituted about 5tbsp dark brown sugar for the caster sugar. This time they definitely came out a little denser but very moist and flavourful. they've been a hit -- easy to cut, pick up and eat with sticky little hands. Thanks for a great idea. I think I'll try adding a nut butter next time. - 21 Jul 2008
Hi Vness01, just wondering when you replaced the caster sugar with brown sugar and wholemeal flour... how much of both did you use for this recipe. Kaz - 05 Aug 2010
yummy for my toddler, slightly bland for me so I added shredded coconut and cranberries instead of sultanas, would you recommend to store in fridge because of egg whites? might add a few dark choc chips next time too! - 16 May 2013