Best Ever Banana Cake
- For the Cake
- 250g soft butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups (250g) self-raising flour, sifted
- For the Icing
- 45g soft butter
- 90g cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sifted pure icing sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Preparation:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 180 degrees C, or 160 degrees C if fan-forced. Grease a deep 24cm ring tin.
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and thick.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Stir through the mashed banana, fold through the flour.
- Spoon into prepared tin, bake for 45 minutes or until cake springs back.
- To make the icing, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Fold in icing sugar and lemon zest, add lemon juice and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Pour and/or spread over the cooled cake.
I have my own recipe, to which I add walnuts, It makes a difference. As regards the icing, I find if you put the butter and the cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds (wattage determines) it helps whisk into a smooth mixture. Thanks Susan. I shall try this recipe next time i make a banana cake. (try the walnuts ) - 22 Jan 2012
Great fluffy banana cake, been looking for one for years that doesn't end up a hard rock! - 20 Feb 2012
- 10 Oct 2011