Balsamic Mushroom Chicken
Serves : 8
- 1 1/2 to 2 kg whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 3 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 125g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
Preparation:15min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Coat chicken lightly with flour. Heat oil in a wide saucepan over medium high heat. Fry chicken pieces briefly, turning to brown evenly. Add onion and celery; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and chopped tomatoes. Season with oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 30 minutes, turning pieces once.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and mushrooms, and cook further 5 to 10 minutes.
Something else. Great recipe. I used boneless thighs fried them in olive oil and garlic. I also added thyme. Very flavourful, but next time I will double the sauce portion. I didn't bother with peeling the tomatoes...but I did seed the tomatoes as the recipe called for. If there was a difference to peel the tomatos, i'm not sure what benefit that would give me, because the dish was excellent without the extra work in peeling the tomatoes. - 18 Jul 2008
My husband tasted it before I did and commented "Lacks depth" Totally spot on - very ordinary! - 21 Mar 2012
My husband and I thought it lacked some flavour. Next time I might try adding garlic to help enrich the taste. Served it over rice. I almost think it tasted better as leftovers. - 18 Jul 2008