1 / 1 Picture by:
Easy Armenian Nutmeg Cake
- 2 cups (310g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (250g) self-raising flour
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (125g) chopped walnuts
Preparation:30min › Cook:55min › Ready in:1hour25min
- Preheat oven to 190C. Grease and paper line a 23cm square cake tin.
- Sift the brown sugar and flour together into a large bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine bread crumbs. Spread of half this mix over the base of tin, pushing down with fingers to get it right into the corners.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the orange juice then add the egg and nutmeg. Combine this with the remaining crumb mix and mix well.
- Pour the contents of the bowl over the crumb mixture already in the cake tin. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool in tin before turning out.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!