1 / 1 Picture by:
Spring vegetable stir-fry with tofu
- 300 g firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup unsweetened orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon medium-dry sherry, or Chinese rice wine (shao sing)
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, stem ends snapped off, cut into 3-cm lengths
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, quartered lengthways
- ¼ cup water
- noodles or low-GI rice or basmati rice, to serve
Preparation:35min › Cook:10min › Ready in:45min
- Pat tofu dry and cut into 2-cm pieces. Whisk orange juice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sherry (or wine), chilli sauce and sugar in a medium bowl. Add tofu and toss gently to coat. Marinate for about 10 minutes, turning from time to time, while you prepare the vegetables.
- When you are ready to cook, drain tofu, reserving the marinade in a medium bowl. Add cornflour to the reserved marinade and whisk until smooth. Reserve for sauce. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a non-stick wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add tofu and cook, turning from time to time, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok. Add ginger, orange zest and garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds. Add onion and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add asparagus and carrots. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add water, cover and cook just until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Push vegetables to the outside perimeter of the wok. Stir the reserved sauce and add it to the centre of the wok. Cook, stirring the sauce, until it becomes glossy and thickens, about 1 minute. Stir vegetables into the sauce and return tofu to the wok. Stir to coat. Serve with rice or noodles.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!