Classic Pumpkin Pie
- FOR THE PASTRY
- 1 cup (125g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 125g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup (250g) cooked mashed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour15min › Ready in:1hour35min
- Use a 23cm pie plate. Sift the flours and icing sugar into a bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water and mix to form a ball, adding extra water, if necessary. Knead gently on floured work surface until smooth; cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Roll dough onto a lightly floured work surface until large enough to line pie plate. Line plate and trim edge. Use scraps of pastry to make a double edge for the rim. Trim and pinch the rim.
- Place pie plate on baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for a further 10 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned; cool.
- To make the filling, beat eggs, sugar and maple syrup in a small bowl with electric beaters until thick. Stir in the pumpkin, cream and spices.
- Pour filling into pastry case; bake in moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until filling is set; cool. Lightly dust with extra sifted icing sugar, if desired.
Something else. 50 mL Fresh Goat Blood - 27 Oct 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. I added 1/2 teaspoon ginger - 29 Nov 2009
Even though I confess to using a bought pie shell, everyone thought this pie was absolutely delicious! Went down very well at our Thanksgiving meal. - 29 Nov 2009