Be the first to make this!
The chicken gives you vitamin B6, the carrots vitamin C and the potatoes a little more of each. The leeks and lemon juice also add to the vitamin C count.
1 whole chicken (about 1.5 kg)
6 cups (1.5 litres) salt-reduced chicken stock
4 carrots, cut into 2-cm pieces
2 leeks, white part only, sliced
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 bouquet garni, made with 8 sprigs parsley and 2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut fat from chicken and wipe inside with paper towels. Tuck wings under chicken. Fold skin over body cavity opening; tie legs together with string.
- Place chicken in flameproof casserole. Add stock and water to cover. Bring to boil over moderate heat and, using a large spoon, skim off any scum.
- Add vegetables, garlic and herbs to casserole and simmer, partially covered, about 1 1⁄4 hours or until chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to platter, cover with foil and keep warm. Strain stock into bowl and skim off fat. Reserve vegetables and discard herbs.
- Purée half the vegetables and 1 1⁄2 cups stock in food processor, and pour into pan. Add lemon juice and pepper.
- Remove skin from chicken and carve meat. Meanwhile, warm sauce gently. Place chicken and remaining vegetables on platter and pour sauce over.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate