- Put the noodles in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water. Return to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork. Drain, reserving 50ml of the liquid. Rinse the noodles, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the stock, soy sauce, cornflour and sesame oil in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat. Reserve some of the dark parts of the spring onions for garnish then add the remaining spring onions, garlic, zucchini and chilli to the wok. Stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until softened.
- Add the tofu, stock mixture and reserved noodle soaking liquid to the wok. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly for 1–2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the noodles and toss together. Remove the wok from the heat, toss in the watercress, coriander and reserved spring onions and serve immediately.
• Soba (japanese buckwheat noodles) could be used instead of egg noodles. Cook them for 6 minutes, or according to the packet instructions until tender, then combine in step 5. * • if you prefer, use peeled, cooked prawns or diced, skinned, cooked chicken or turkey instead of the tofu.