- 1/3 cup sago
- 4 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Custard or pouring cream, to serve
Preparation:1hour › Cook:12min › Extra time:6hours48min › Ready in:8hours
- Place the sago in a bowl, cover with half the water and allow to stand for 1 hour. Drain.
- Put the sago in a saucepan with the remaining water and add the salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sago comes to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the sago is soft and transparent.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the lemon rind and juice, the golden syrup and the brown sugar to the sago. Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into a 4-cup serving bowl or four small, pretty glass bowls.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight to chill.
- Serve the chilled lemon sago with custard or drizzled with pouring cream.
For a special treat, serve with homemade custard.
This recipe is delicious the next day. Eating it as soon as it is set doesn't provide time for the lemon flavour to strengthen - 05 Feb 2013