Cubes of lamb flavoured with a mixture of garlic, lemon and fresh oregano are cooked on skewers and served with a Greek-style tomato and cabbage salad and pita bread for a deliciously aromatic main dish. These can be grilled or barbecued.
CHILLI BEEF KEBABS
• Use 4 beef fillet steaks cut into cubes. Mix together 1 teaspoon chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 crushed garlic cloves, juice of ½ lime and pepper.
• Coat steak with the spice mixture, then thread onto 4 skewers. Cook with 1 sliced onion under the grill for 4–6 minutes.
• Remove skewers from the grill and continue cooking the onion until tender.
• Mix 400 g canned kidney beans, rinsed, with 1 diced avocado, juice of 1 lime, 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 red onion, finely chopped, 1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped, 300 g cherry tomatoes, halved, and 2/3 cup chopped fresh coriander.
• Remove the steak from the skewers and divide with the onion among 8 warmed flour tortillas.
• Add some of the salad to each tortilla, and roll up into wraps. Serve with the rest of the salad.
Cabbage is not only an excellent source of vitamin C but it is high in fibre. A chemical found in cabbage may lower the risk of lung cancer in smokers by as much as 38 per cent.
I'm a very inexperienced cook, and only just getting into trying different recipes. I tried this one the other night and it was so tasty. I didn't use fresh herbs, just dried ones, but it was still great. - 22 Oct 2010