Hearty chicken & lentil stew
Serves : 4
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs (200g each), quartered
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow or red capsicum, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 1¼cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup canned no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 300g red-skinned potatoes, cut into small chunks
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour20min
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over moderate heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes or until browned on both sides. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon; put aside.
- Add the onion, capsicum and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the lentils, stock, 1/2 cup water, the tomatoes, coriander, ginger and a pinch of salt, and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are just barely tender.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the potatoes. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
Did you know?
Lentils contain protease inhibitors, a class of compounds that interfere with certain types of enzymatic action and thus may help fight cancer.
Was really nice and wholesome. Would definatley make again. Only thing I added was a squeeze of lemon juice at the end of cooking. - 30 Apr 2009