Dim sum with dipping sauce
Serves : 6
- 1 tin water chestnuts (230 g), drained and chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 350 g chicken mince
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 30 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, plus extra for dusting
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 150 g bok choy
- DIPPING SAUCE
- Hoisin sauce
- chopped spring onions
- chopped fresh coriander
- reduced-salt soy sauce and/or sesame oil
Preparation:45min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour35min
- Mix together the water chestnuts, spring onions, coriander, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add the chicken, sugar, ginger, garlic and mushrooms. Stir in the cornflour and the cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Cook a small spoonful of the chicken mixture in a frying pan, then taste it to check the seasoning.
- Dust a plate with cornflour. Place about 1 teaspoon of filling on the middle of a wonton wrapper. Dampen the wrapper slightly just around the filling. (Dip your finger in a ramekin of water and run your finger around the edge of the filling.) Gather up the wrapper, pinching it around the filling to form a cup, open at the top and with "frilly" edges. Set aside on the plate, and fill the remaining wrappers.
- Line a multi-layered steamer with the bok choy leaves or English spinach. Stand the dim sum on the leaves and steam over rapidly boiling water for about 8–10 minutes, or until the chicken filling is fully cooked.
- Serve the dumplings hot with the bok choy, and with the ingredients for the dipping sauce in individual bowls so that diners can mix them together to make a sauce to their own taste.
Garlic, onions, leeks and chives contain allicin, which has antifungal and antibiotic properties. Garlic also contains other compounds that have been shown in animal studies to inactivate carcinogens and suppress the growth of tumours.
Used different ingredients. i used pork mince,ham, and bacon instead of the chicken mince. All other ingredients are the same. I parboiled the dumplings til semi cooked, cooled them, then fried them til a golden crust forms. Delicious! - 02 Dec 2009