1 / 1 Picture by:
Cranberry and Oat Muffins
- 3/4 cup (70g) rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (100g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup (35g) wheatgerm, preferably toasted
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 350ml buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 medium egg
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup (120g) sweetened dried cranberries
Preparation:15min › Cook:40min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Lightly coat a 12-hole muffin tray with cooking spray; each hole should be about 6cm diameter. Evenly spread out the oats on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden and crisp, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the plain and wholemeal flours, wheatgerm, 1/3 cup (75g) of the sugar, the baking powder and bicarb soda to the oats, stirring to combine. Whisk together the buttermilk, oil, egg and orange zest in a small bowl until blended.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the cranberries.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin tins. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with 1/4 tsp sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the tray to a wire rack to cool.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!