Chewy Muesli Bars
- 1 1/3 cups (125g) rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (45g) oat bran
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 2/3 cup (90g) dried apricot halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (40g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons wheatgerm, toasted
- 1/3 cup (80ml) apple juice concentrate (see below)
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preparation:15min › Cook:40min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 28 x 18cm baking tin with foil, leaving a good overhang. Coat with cooking spray.
- Place the oats and oat bran in a baking tray and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the oats are lightly browned and fragrant. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the flour, apricots, walnuts and wheatgerm.
- Combine the apple juice concentrate, brown sugar and honey in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until the brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence. Pour the syrup over the oat mixture, stirring to coat.
- Spoon the oat mixture into the foil-lined baking tin. With moistened hands, press the mixture into an even layer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm. Using the foil overhang, carefully lift out the muesli cake and cool on a wire rack. When cool, cut into 12 bars.
Apple Juice Concentrate
To make your own apple juice concentrate, boil down about 160ml apple juice until the liquid reduces to athird of a cup (80ml) and becomes slightly syrupy.
This is the best Chewy Muesli Bar Recipe I have found. But I did tweak it to suit - 17 May 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Used 50mls of apple concentrate instead - wanted to make it crunchier. Succeeded, I think. Used raisins and almonds. Didn't have any wheatgerm around - skipped that part. - 24 May 2010
This is very good. Easy to make, healthy, delicious, and the fundamental ingredients can be changed every time to produce something different. Thank you. - 24 May 2010