Chewy Muesli Bars
Serves : 12
- 1⅓ cups (125g) rolled oats
- ⅓ cup (45g) oat bran
- ⅓ cup (50g) plain flour
- ⅔ cup (90g) dried apricot halves, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup (40g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp wheatgerm, toasted
- ⅓ cup (80ml) apple juice concentrate
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Preparation:15min › Cook:40min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 28 x 18cm baking tin with foil, leaving a good overhang. Coat with cooking spray.
- Place the oats and oat bran in a baking tray and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the oats are lightly browned and fragrant. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the flour, apricots, walnuts and wheatgerm.
- Combine the apple juice concentrate, brown sugar and honey in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until the brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence. Pour the syrup over the oat mixture, stirring to coat.
- Spoon the oat mixture into the foil-lined baking tin. With moistened hands, press the mixture into an even layer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm. Using the foil overhang, carefully lift out the muesli cake and cool on a wire rack. When cool, cut into 12 bars.
Some more ideas…
*Substitute raisins, chopped dried apples or sweetened dried cranberries for the apricots.
*Use peanuts, almonds or pecans instead of the walnuts.
*Experiment with different types of honey, for strong or delicate flavours.
*To make your own apple juice concentrate, boil down about 160ml apple juice until the liquid reduces to⅓ cup (80ml) and becomes slightly syrupy.
*These muesli bars are significantly lower in fat and total carbohydrate than the ones sold commercially. They are also low in sodium, which is important for healthy blood pressure.
*Using fruit juice concentrate eliminates the need for oil in this recipe. The concentrate gives the bars moistness and provides extra flavour as well.
This is the best Chewy Muesli Bar Recipe I have found. But I did tweak it to suit - 17 May 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Used 50mls of apple concentrate instead - wanted to make it crunchier. Succeeded, I think. Used raisins and almonds. Didn't have any wheatgerm around - skipped that part. - 24 May 2010
This is very good. Easy to make, healthy, delicious, and the fundamental ingredients can be changed every time to produce something different. Thank you. - 24 May 2010