1 / 1 Picture by: Zoë Harpham
Spinach and Cauliflower Gratin
- 600g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 (250g) packets frozen chopped leaf spinach
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 25g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup grated mature cheddar
- sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:1hour50min
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Put the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 15–20 minutes until tender. Cook the cauliflower in a steamer, set over the potatoes, for 10 minutes, or in a separate pan of boiling water.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a saucepan, cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until thawed. Tip the spinach into a colander and press down with a vegetable masher to squeeze out any excess liquid. Roughly chop the spinach and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Drain the potatoes, then mash with the milk and butter. Spread half the mashed potatoes in a 1 litre ovenproof baking dish or six individual dishes. Layer the spinach on top of the potatoes.
- Purée the cauliflower in a blender or food processor. Add the eggs and the remaining mashed potatoes and check the seasoning. Spread this mixture over the spinach layer.
- Sprinkle the top with grated cheese, then bake for 30 minutes (20 minutes for individual dishes) until golden. Serve hot, garnished with sprigs of parsley.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!