Lentil and Bacon Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 rindless short-cut bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 large swede, peeled and diced
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup (125g) green lentils
- 1 lemon, zest grated
- 4 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preparation:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, bacon, onion, carrots and swede and mix well. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until the bacon has changed colour and the onion has softened.
- Stir in the stock, lentils and half the lemon zest. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, half cover the pan and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsnips, cover and continue to cook gently for 25–30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Use a vegetable masher or hand-held blender to crush some of the lentils and vegetables into the soup, leaving the majority chunky. Stir in half of the parsley and season to taste. Serve sprinkled with the remaining chopped parsley and grated lemon zest.
I found this gorgeous!! easy to make, fresh on the palate from the lemon and parsley, appealing to kids and fancy enough for a dinner party. great recipe! - 30 Nov 2010