Special Vegetarian Risotto
Be the first to make this!
This is a an amazing vegetable risotto made with real saffron which gives it a wonderfully bright colour. A vegetarian meal in itself.
generous pinch of saffron
2 cups (500ml) boiling water
1 red capsicum
220g tinned whole button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
2 medium red onions
1 cup (220g) risotto rice
170g fresh or frozen peas
3 medium sized tomatoes
55g slivered almonds
1 cup (125g) cheddar cheese, or less
2 tbsp fresh parsley
salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut capsicum into strips, drain mushrooms, crush the garlic, chop the parsley, chop the onions and grate the cheddar.
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl of boiling water and leave for a few minutes. Remove the tomatoes, skin them, then chop them into rough quarters.
- Lightly toast the almonds on a high heat (with no oil).
- Crush the saffron in a mortar and pestle and put it in the boiling water. Leave it to soak while the recipe is being prepared (the water will become dark yellow).
- Heat half the butter in a large wok or frypan and fry the red capsicum, mushrooms and garlic gently for 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the onion in the remaining butter for a few minutes, mix in the rice and then add the saffron water. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the peas, tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste (be aware the cheese will make it a bit saltier) and simmer covered for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the nuts, cheese, parsley, the reserved mushrooms and peppers, and stir until thoroughly mixed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Serve with parmesan and fresh parsley.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate