Melktert (South African Milk Tart)
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (145g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 cups (950ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
Preparation:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 25cm deep pie plate.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the egg yolks, continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the vanilla essence and milk.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie plate; sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 160 degrees C. Bake a further 25 to 30 minutes or until just set. Serve hot or cold.
Used different ingredients. I used half a teaspoon of vanilla paste which is more intense in flavour. - 20 Jun 2009
Quick, easy receipe just like my Mom used to make. I have a fan- forced oven and it still took 90 minutes too cook. - 20 Jun 2009