Super Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup (185g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 60g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preparation:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Combine sugar, milk, salt and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the egg yolks into a small bowl. Gradually stir in about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid then return the contents of the bowl to the saucepan. Heat until thickened, but do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until the chocolate is melted. Pour into a chilled bowl and refrigerate for about two hours until cold, stirring occasionally.
- When chocolate mixture has completely cooled, stir in the cream and vanilla. Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Took shortcuts. Make this best ever icecream even better by this simple shortcut. Ditch the icecream machine and instead simply whip the cream before adding to the cooled custard. Then freeze! Easy. - 05 Apr 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. I added 1/2 pack chopped Chocolate Ripple biscuits during the churning in the ice cream maker. - 27 Jan 2009
OMG, AMAZING!!!!!!! Can't believe I made something that great! Top marks! I should just say however, I didn't follow the instructions to the letter. I followed steps 1-3, and then I whipped the cream before folding the chocolate mixture into it. Why? I was cynical that doing it that way would freeze well and turn out ok. And I'm sooooooooooooo glad I did because my freezer tends to freeze ice cream mixture pretty hard and I usually find I have to let my ice cream stand for a while before I can scoop. So, if you have that problem generally, whip the cream and then add the milk mixture. - 14 Mar 2012