1 / 1 Picture by:
Eggplant Tomato Curry
- 2 large eggplants
- vegetable oil for frying
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2cm cube of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella (black onion seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 (400g) can of tomatoes (or use same amount of peeled fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
Preparation:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Cut the egplants into wedges about 2 cm long and fry them on medium heat until reddish brown. You will need a lot of oil to fry them because they tend to soak it up. When fried set aside on lots of kitchen paper which will help absorb some of the oil.
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger together.
- Heat oil in a pan and when it's hot add in the nigella and fennel seeds. After a few seconds they will begin to pop.
- Add the garlic/ginger and fry for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder. simmer until it forms a thick tomato paste.
- Add the sliced, fried eggplant to the pan and heat gently for 5 minutes.
Black Onion Seeds
You would have seen these seeds on top of Turkish Bread and you should be able to get them in an Indian or Middle Eastern shop. Substitute cumin seeds.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!