Chicken Stew, Spanish Style
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 (400g) tins peeled whole tomatoes
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 chicken thighs
- 125g Spanish chorizo sausage, casing removed and thickly sliced
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour15min › Ready in:1hour30min
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Stir in onions and garlic. Fry about 5 minutes stirring once or twice until onion softens.
- Pour in tomatoes, chickpeas and water; add paprika, chilli flakes and season with salt, and pepper.
- Stir in carrots and potatoes, then place chicken thighs skin-side up on top of the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Remove chicken from the stew and set aside. Stir in the chorizo slices, then pour the stew into a baking dish. Place the chicken thighs on top, skin-side up.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until the stew thickens and the chicken skin is crisp.
Using all the ingredients (without the water) I cooked this in the slow cooker (4 hours. Easy to prepare and delicious. - 17 Aug 2011
I have made this many times since I found the recipe earlier in the year. A real winner, when my family in law comes over I leave out the chorizo as they dont eat it but love it either way. It is not a recipe you need to do a couple times to get it right. Real simple and the outcome is special. - 09 Nov 2009
this is delicious! Didnt add water, put extra paprika and a lot of chilli powder and added 5 minutes to grill the chicken to give it a nice color. Very yummy! - 01 Aug 2012