Chocolate Caramel Squares
- 160g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Base: In a medium bowl, mix together butter, white sugar and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 23cm square baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Topping: In a saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes.
- Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Cool until it begins to firm up.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir and continue to heat and stir at 20 second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Chill. Cut into 4cm squares. These need to be small because they are so rich.
Think I beat the butter a bit too much so base was a bit sticky putting it in the pan even so it turned out perfect little bit fiddly but that was my fault,was still ready within the time said and was tasty with the shortbread base:- - 15 May 2012