Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese
1 / 2
2 / 2
73 people made this
If you want the best macaroni and cheese you have to make your own. This version is deliciously buttery and topped with crumbled bread.
3 tablespoons plain flour
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups (500ml) milk
1 1/2 cups (185g) shredded Cheddar cheese
4 slices day-old bread, torn into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and place in a bowl until required.
- In a large sauce pan, melt 60g butter over medium heat. Add flour and some ground black pepper to taste, stir until a paste-like consistency.
- Add milk and stir continually until sauce starts to thicken; slowly stir in cheese 1/2 cup at a time until all cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni. Mix well and pour into a lightly greased 20x30cm baking dish.
- Place bread pieces on top of macaroni mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Melt remaining butter and pour over bread.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate