Egg-Free Chocolate Cake
Serves : 24
- 655g (5 1/4 cups) sifted plain flour
- 90g (3/4 cup) dark cocoa
- 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 660g (3 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 700ml (2 3/4 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla essence
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour20min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 22x30cm baking tin.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, bi-carb soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
- Add oil, water and vanilla essence and mix together thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
Something else. I made this recipe for my son's class. And it was wonderful. He has severe food allergies and this recipe is both egg and peanut free. I added chocolate chips to the batter. I made cupcakes instead of the cake and I baked them for 22 minutes @ 180 degrees. - 18 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. I read all of the reviews before I baked this. I used another 1/4 cup of cocoa and replaced the salt with vinegar (trust me!). Suitably chocolatey and no after taste. Next time I'll try a slower oven and longer bake time to try and avoid the crust. - 16 Sep 2010
Made it more kid friendly. I recently made this for our mothers group joint 1st birthday, I took out the cocoa and used 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste. with butter icing it was a hit. All mums are asking for the recipe thanks ginger XXXX - 09 Mar 2011