1 / 2
2 / 2
1 person made this
The British Kedgeree breakfast is based off the Indian dish Khichri. It uses smoked white fish, rice and eggs. Lovely!
400g basmati rice
120g smoked white fish (traditionally smoked haddock-but smoked cod is fine)
1 bay leaf
2 -4 tablespoons of milk, or as needed
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
4 spring onions, sliced
60g frozen peas
salt and pepper, to taste
natural yoghurt to serve
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Hard boil the eggs. When done remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop. Set aside.
- Place the fish in a small saucepan with the bay leaf. Pour in enough milk just to cover the fish. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook gently until fish flakes.
- Remove fish from the saucepan, flake with a fork and set aside. Discard milk and bay leaf.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in curry powder then add the peas and spring onions. Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the cooked rice, eggs and fish.
- Stir gently and season with salt and pepper. Heat through, and serve with yoghurt.
This sounds simple compared to the other recipes so Im going to try it,but I like tomato, so Im going to add it.[somehow!] Thanks.
- 24 Aug 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate