Heavenly Lamb Shank Casserole
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 leek, halved and cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 350ml red wine
- 600ml chicken stock
- Sea salt
Preparation:20min › Cook:2hours30min › Ready in:2hours50min
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees C .
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy, metal baking dish on a hotplate over medium-high heat. Toss shanks with flour to coat well; then shake off excess. Sear the shanks in hot oil until well browned on all sides, then remove from the dish and set aside.
- Add the leek, celery, carrot, onion and garlic to the baking dish. Cook until softened and lightly browned, stirring constantly; about 5 minutes.
- Season with the bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and rosemary sprigs. Pour in the red wine and chicken stock, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer.
- Season to taste with sea salt and place the lamb shanks on top of the vegetables.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and place into the preheated oven. Bake gently until the meat is tender and falls off of the bone, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and herb stems before serving shanks with vegetables and sauce.
Oh my goodness, this was just devine! So simple, yet, so delicious! I can't wait to cook this agian for friends and family. Thanks for sharing. Ps, It is easy to adjust this for the slow cooker so it can cook while at work. - 11 Apr 2012
Very nice meal....we invited guests for a dinner party and served this meal with fresh, steamed aspargus on a bed of sweet potato mash.....a glass of red.....the perfect winter meal - 24 Sep 2010
- 01 Dec 2011