Beautiful Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes: 20 little cakes
- 125g butter
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 cups (250g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation:3min › Ready in:3min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease two 12 cup muffin tins or line with 20 muffin cases or patty pans.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, red food colouring and vanilla. Stir in the bicarb soda and vinegar.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt; stir into the batter just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the tins on wire racks. Ice when completely cool.
If you dont have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of milk. You can also use plain milk in this recipe.
I just finished icing these cupcakes, all I can say is that these are the most gorgeous cupcakes, very easy to make and very impressive. I used half of the cream cheese icing recipe from the Hummingbird cake and it was perfect. I will be making these again! - 26 Apr 2011
I've always wanted to try red velvet cakes and these tasted yum and looked beautiful, my supermarket didnt have buttermilk so i used normal milk instead, and they turned out perfect, I used the cream cheese icing which was delicious, the whole family loved them! Will definitely be making these again soon! - 31 Mar 2012
Extremely lovely cupcakes! They are so easy to make even an amature can do it. The only thing I did differently was at the end I mixed half a teaspoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of white vinegar and folded it into the mixture to help the cupcakes rise. I got this tip from another recipe. I frosted them with cream cheese icing and stored them in an air tight container. 6 days later they were still moist and yummy! - 17 Jun 2012