Savoury Scones with Cheese
- 200g self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 40g margarine or butter
- 60g grated cheddar cheese
- 100ml milk
Preparation:15min › Cook:10min › Ready in:25min
- Heat oven to 220 degrees C and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Sift flour, mustard powder, cayenne pepper and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the margarine into small pieces and add to flour. Rub the margarine into the flour with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in grated cheese.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring well with a knife until the mixture begins to stick together. With your hands, knead the mixture gently to form a soft smooth dough.
- On a floured surface flatten or roll the dough to about 3cm thick. Use a 5cm round cutter to cut out individual scones.
- Place scones on the greased baking tray. Brush with milk and sprinkle some extra cheese on top.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before serving.
This is a very old recipe that my Mum made often, she made these on a sunday as out in the country where we lived there was no fresh bread to be had. I have made this recipe for so long I forget. All blokes love them and!!!!!! they even put jam on them. Oh well jam and cheese does go well together I guess. - 19 Jan 2011
can you use mozzerrella cheese instead of cheddar? - 04 Aug 2009