Roast Chicken with Garlic and Thyme
- 1 whole (1.8 kg) roasting chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1 large lemon, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- I tablespoon plain flour
Preparation:10min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:1hour40min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Place a large sheet of greaseproof or baking paper in the middle of a roasting tray. It should be large enough to wrap around the chicken plus plenty of extra for folding over.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, stuff with half of the lemon slices and place breast side up in the middle of the paper. Sprinkle garlic slices and thyme sprigs evenly over the chicken. Lay the remaining lemon slices over the breast. Fold the paper over the chicken forming a loose parcel.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the juices when a skewer is inserted in the thigh are no longer pink.
Something else. This was very good. However, next time I would open the baking paper for the last 20 to 30 minutes of cooking time to brown the chicken. Although the chicken tasted great it looked almost uncooked as it was not brown. - 29 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. I used a combination of 2 recipies from this site. This one, and "Juicy Roast Chicken" It turned out great! I generously seasoned the outside, and cavity with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I didn't have the thyme, so I just left that out. Next time, I will probably use rosemary though. I loved the addition of lemon. The flavour was really mild, yet there just enough. All in all, wonderful dinner. Thank you for sharing this recipe - 29 Sep 2008
Excellent recipe. I baked it in a roasting bag and also chopped the garlic and thyme, added it to butter, and rubbed down the chicken with it. The juices in the bottom of the bag make an excellent gravy. - 29 Sep 2008