Beef in Red Wine Casserole
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 100g flour
- 1 kg chuck steak, cubed
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, green tops removed finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 bottle (750ml) red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef stock cube
- 4 rashers of bacon, diced
Preparation:20min › Cook:3hours30min › Ready in:3hours50min
- Mix the salt, pepper and flour together then coat the meat in the flour. Fry it in the oil for approx 5 minutes or until browned and place in a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
- Fry the shallots in the oil for 3-5 minutes adding the crushed garlic for the last 2 minutes, then add them both to the meat. Cut mushrooms into quarters and add to the casserole; warm the wine until it’s just bubbling and stir it in.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, beef stock and bacon and mix it all together.
- Cover and cook in preheated oven for approximately 2 and a half hours, then remove the lid and cook for a further half an hour.
Very good easy slow cooker recipe! - 21 Jun 2009
nice meal, added white beans to make it go furher as we have such a huge family - 07 May 2010
Fantastic and so easy. Doubled the recipe and added another half bottle of wine because I wanted leftovers to freeze. Added some fresh rosemary - 09 Aug 2012