1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence (for the icing)
1. Preheat oven to 180•C. Paper-line the muffin tray with patty cases.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined. Add in the softened butter and mix them until it becomes a crumbly sandlike texture.
3. Place wet ingredients into the butter mixture as you mix. Scrape the batter down the bowl and mix it for the final 20 seconds.
Using an ice-cream scoop-spoon, scoop into 12 x 1/3 cup capacity muffin pans. Bake for 25-36 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out of pan to cool completely. Store in an airtight container until required.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Slowly add icing sugar mixture, milk and vanilla extract, beating constantly until combined.
6. Spoon icing into a piping bag with a star-shaped coupler and pipe it on the freshly cooled cupcakes.