1 / 2
2 / 2
1 person made this
A true French onion soup and enough to feed a crowd! It is served in the pot with croutons for a dramatic presentation.
2 kg onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons cognac
1 cup (250ml) dry vermouth
8 cups (2 litres) good quality beef stock
salt and black pepper, to taste
16 thin slices baguette
16 small slices Fontina cheese
- Peel the onions, cut in half and cut into thin slices.
- In a large, heavy saucepan heat the oil and butter. Add onions and stir well. Cook on low heat, covered, 10 minutes then remove the cover.
- Add salt and sugar and fry 30 minutes, stirring constantly. At the end of cooking the onions should be deep golden brown.
- Sprinkle onions with flour and stir well. Saute 3 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the beef stock separately.
- Deglaze the saucepan with cognac and vermouth. Add the stock and mix everything well. Simmer 90 minutes, loosely covered. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the baguette under the grill until golden brown on both sides. Lay a slice of cheese on each baguette and return to the grill to melt the cheese.
- Lay the baguettes on top of the soup in the saucepan and serve!
Write a review
Click on stars to rate