1 / 1 Picture by: AllrecipesVideo
Makes: 1 loaf
- 1 kg plain flour
- 80g fresh yeast
- pinch caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 375ml lukewarm milk
- 250g butter
- 200g raisins
- 250g blanched almonds, chopped
- 100g candied lemon peel
- 100g candied orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- icing sugar for dusting
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour › Extra time:1hour15min rising › Ready in:2hours45min
- Place the flour in a large bowl and crumble the yeast over it. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar and add a tablespoon of warm milk. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Heat the butter and milk in a saucepan over low heat till melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture, milk and butter mixture, salt, sugar and egg yolks. Mix until a soft dough forms. Cover bowl and let stand in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has risen to twice the original size.
- Shape dough into a loaf, then place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake in the oven at 190 degrees C for about 45 to 60 minutes.
- After baking spread with 2 tablespoons melted butter and dust with icing sugar while the loaf is still hot.
- Dust a surface with flour and turn out the dough. Add the candied peel and chopped almonds and knead into the dough. Add the raisins and knead in.
Stollen (Christmas Fruit Bread)
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!