1 / 1 Picture by: WendyB
- 700g chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled & cut 4cm pieces
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 160g pitted green Sicilian olives (jar type)
- handful raisins
- handful dried cranberries
- 1 heaped tsp powdered chicken stock
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 orange zest, peeled & sliced into thin strips
- 1 orange, juiced
- handful fresh coriander, chopped + extra to garnish
- salt & pepper
- 25g butter
- 100g blanched almonds
- 2 cups basmati rice (1/2 cup per serve)
Preparation:20min › Cook:35min › Ready in:55min
- In a deep saucepan (one with a lid), toast the cumin seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander & cinnamon sticks in the oil until just smoking being careful not to burn.
- Add the onion, garlic & ginger and cook on low heat until soft and the onion slightly brown.
- Add chicken and cook until just sealed and slightly browned.
- Add chicken stock dissolved in water, orange juice, orange peel, pumpkin, olives, half the cranberries, half the raisins and salt & pepper. Cook covered on low heat for about 20-30 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- While the tagine is simmering, cook 1 cup of basmati rice.
- Add the fresh coriander, the other half of the raisins and cranberries to the tagine and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast the blanched almonds in a separate frying pan in melted butter, stir until golden brown.
- Right before serving, stir through the almonds. Remove the cinnamon sticks before eating.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish with the remaining chopped coriander.
Make it healthier
Toast the almonds under a grill or in the oven rather than frying in butter
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!