Curried Devilled Egg Chicks
1 / 1
Just a normal devilled eggs recipe - but the eggs are reassembled to look like chickens with olive slices for eyes and small bits of capsicum or carrot for noses.
Makes: 6 devilled eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon curry powder
pinch of salt and pepper
2-3 stuffed olives or black Spanish olives with seeds removed. Using pre-sliced olives makes it even easier
slices of capsicum or carrot for other face decorations
Extra time:1hour30min cooling ›
- Put the 6 eggs in a good sized pot. Make sure they're covered by cold water by a couple of cms.
- Turn the heat on and stir the eggs gently a couple of times early in the cooking - before the water starts to boil - and then a couple more times in the early boiling stages.
- After eggs have been boiling for 7-8 minutes, remove them from the heat, and let them cool completely - in the fridge in good - before you start to peel them.
- Carefully peel the eggs and if they won't stand by themselves, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each egg so it sits flat.
- Cut a zigzag pattern a third down from the top of each egg. Put the top of the egg to one side and carefully remove the yolk. Do this with all the eggs.
- Put the yolks in a medium bowl and mash them with a fork. Mix in the mayo, curry powder and salt and pepper until it is smooth and well mixed.
- Spoon the yolk mix back into the bottom of the egg whites - you want it heaped higher than the bottom of the egg white.
- Replace the tops and press eyes (from the olive slices) and noses (from the capsicum or carrot) into the yolk filling.
- Keep them in the fridge untill serving
For these, you want the yolk to be positioned as much in the centre as possible. Thats why there's the stirring in the early part of the cooking to keep the eggs moving so the yolk (hopefully) won't settle on one side of the egg.
Experiment with one egg first
I tried with one egg first just to get a sense of how this would work. The tricky bit is the boiling and cutting; thats all you really need to test.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate