Spaghetti carbonara with no cream
- 500g spaghetti
- 4 teaspoons (80ml) olive oil
- 125g pancetta (or bacon)
- 160ml white wine
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g of fresh grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- a pinch grated nutmeg
- 40g (2 tablespoons) butter
- a couple of handfuls of frozen peas
Preparation:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Boil water for pasta.
- Cut rind off pancetta (or bacon) and fry the rind in the oil. Add the rest of the pancetta and fry until crispy. Add the wine and garlic and let it bubble away for a five minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks, parmesan cheese, pepper and nutmeg together.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until done, add the peas to the pasta just before it is cooked.
- Drain pasta and peas, put bacon mixture back on the heat with the butter, when it is nice and glossy add drained pasta & peas.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add egg mixture (AFTER the pan is removed from the heat) and work it through the pasta. The heat from the hot pasta is enough to cook the eggs.
Make sure you make this in a HUGE dish as it filled more than my regular frypan! So yummy it's almost impossible to only have 1 serve! I added a little salt to taste. - 23 Nov 2010
I found this recipe two weeks ago when I was craving for a fun pasta dish. Very easy to make and delicious. An instant favourite in my little household. Thanks for sharing. - 21 Apr 2012
Rated on 29 Jan 2014