Brown Rice with Pecans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 30g butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 60g finely chopped pecans
- handful finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation:5min › Cook:40min › Ready in:45min
- In a saucepan bring 1 3/4 cups water to the boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- When rice is cooked, melt butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, pecans, parsley, basil, ginger, pepper and salt and cook gently until onions are tender. Fold mixture into rice.
This turned out great. However, I used toasted walnuts instead of pecans, fresh ginger instead of ground, and dried mixed herbs since I didn't have any fresh herbs. I also had to add some extra salt. Delicious! - 07 May 2012
Something else. This was great, my husband loved it and it is very filling. I heated the pecans in the oven a few minutes to give them a more nutty flavour. It needed more salt added before serving to bring out all the flavours. Remember, brown rice has a short shelf life and should be kept in the freezer. If this recipe doesn't turn out, your rice or your spices may be old. - 29 Sep 2008
Something else. I think brown rice needs to be cooked at a ratio of 2.5:1 (water and rice), so I adjusted it accordingly. I toasted the pecans after chopping them. This was excellent--the pecans adds a great crunch! I will be making this again and again. - 29 Sep 2008