Spicy Treacle Scones
Serves : 14
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice or ground ginger
- 30g butter
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 rounded tablespoon treacle
- 120ml milk
Preparation:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C. Move the oven rack so it's positioned near the top of the oven for baking.
- Sift the flour, salt, bicarb soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and mixed spice into a large bowl. Rub in butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk and stir in the sugar and treacle until dissolved. Remove from the heat and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until it turns into a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out to 2 -3 cm thickness. Stamp out scones with scone cutter or a glass, rerolling dough until it has all been used. Place the scones on a lightly greased or floured baking tray.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire tray.
Great recipe, really easy, quick, and tasted great - 16 Nov 2012
Made this with the kids for mothers day. very easy and nice. Only thing we had to use extra flour for the dough. came up very nice.. - 12 May 2012
I just took them out of the oven 15 min ago and they taste great - 12 Apr 2013