Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 125g butter or margarine
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 185g self raising flour
- a pinch of baking powder
- 1 lemon, rind grated and juiced
- 1/4 cup milk, or as needed
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
Preparation:25min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour15min
- Grease and line 20cm deep cake tin. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Beat together the butter, caster sugar, eggs, self-raising flour, baking powder, the lemon rind and enough milk to make a fairly soft consistency.
- Put into tin and bake for about an hour until well risen and springy to touch.
- Mix together icing sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in a pan over very low heat.
- As soon as cake comes out of oven prick top of cake with fine skewer and pour the icing/syrup over it. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes then transfer to rack to finish cooling.
Lemon rind tip
I take the rind off the lemon with a potato peeler - it's much easier than grating. Then, using a food processor or blender, blend the rind with the sugar. The lemon oil goes into the sugar and makes the finished cake yellow and taste much more lemony.
loved this cake, so moist and lemony. used a 20cm wide cake tin not deep. also did the tip with the lemon rind and sugar. - 27 Feb 2011
Delicious! I also followed the tip on processing the lemon rind with the sugar...good idea! A tangy, light and fluffy cake - to be made again. - 02 Oct 2009
we just finished making the cake and it is almost gone - we substituted some of the milk with yoghurt... delicious - 18 Aug 2012