Low Fat Banana Bread
Serves : 12
- 2/3 cup (155g) caster sugar
- 60g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour20min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs, water and bananas until well blended.
- Mix in the flour, bicarb soda, salt and baking powder until the mixture is just moistened. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to blend all ingredients.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour. Bread is done when the top is firm to the touch and a golden brown colour. Time will vary according to loaf size and oven type.
- When bread is removed from oven, allow it to cool on it's side for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
Used different ingredients. I replaced the butter in this recipe with 2 tablespoons apple sauce and used egg whites instead of whole eggs. This made it virtually fat free. It still came out as moist and delicious as ever!!! - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. I, too substituted apple sauce for the butter and used only egg whites, making this virtually fat-free. To battle my fiance's chocolate cravings, I added cocoa powder to half the batter and made a two-layer loaf. yum! Thanks for the healthy and versatile recipe! - 14 Jul 2008
Something else. I added some sliced bananas to the mixture and on the top of the bread. Delicious!! I occasionally add strawberries or berries to make a fruit cake - 16 Oct 2010