Low Fat Banana Walnut Bread
Serves : 12
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (155g) caster sugar
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (30g) chopped walnuts
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour20min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line a loaf pan with baking paper and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in bananas, apple sauce, milk, oil and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, mixing just until blended. Fold in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour until golden brown and a skewer inserted into centre of the loaf comes out clean. Turn bread out onto a wire rack and let cool.
Used different ingredients. I didn't have apple sauce so I added an extra tablespoon of milk and 1/2 tablespoon of oil. I also substituted 1 cup of plain flour with a cup of wholemeal self raising. I thought the bran in the wholemeal flour would add flavour. Turned out perfect in 1 hour. I have made it twice this way and it is great. Going on 'CookingFor7' comments maybe the cup of self raising is useful - mine certainly turned out pretty light but without being crumbly. - 09 Jun 2009
Used different ingredients. Baked this yesterday. I used 1/2 c yoghurt instead of the 1/4 c applesauce like some of the old reviews said. Also read some reviews that said this bread was kind of bland so I added a little over a teaspoon of cinnamon. CAME OUT GREAT! Very moist! I was afraid it'd dry out since I had to leave it in the oven longer than expected since the middle was mushy, but it came out moist and perfect. Will definitely save this recipe and make it again. - 29 Sep 2008
Definitely one of the better, healthier recipes for banana bread I have tried. - 09 Jun 2009